Winter is here; and so are the winter specials. Undhiyu, jinjara (green chana), sugarcane, carrot halwa, ponk are things that are loved by all and are awaited through out the year. Talking about ponk or in english known as green tender sorghum grains are a favourite amongst gujju, highly sold in and around Surat. Surat sells ponk Wada, ponk pattice with ponk chutney. I decided to make something that I grew up eating and is known by very few- ponk halwa, also known as jaadariyu in desi language. Check out the easy 4 step recipe and also scroll till end for recipe video-
I used –
250 grams fresh ponk
1. Put the ponk in mixie and add little milk to grind it into a fine paste. Don’t add more milk or it’ll become runny – just put enough to make it into a thick paste.
2. Heat a kadhai on low flame and add 2 big tablespoons ghee. Once the ghee melts add the ponk paste to it.
3. Keep mixing it and flapping it with a spatula till the ponk starts leaving sides and the ghee starts separating off (just like any other halwa).
4. Once the ghee has separated add jaggery (1/4th portion of the whole halwa quantity). Mix well till jaggery melts completely.
5. Take it off the flame. Transfer it into a bowl and garnish with pistachio, almonds, cashews, elaichi if u like. Or you can eat it just the way it is. It’s ready to serve.
Check the video –
*you can also spread it in a thali as a fat layer and let it cool off. Cut it into pieces and serve it like that too. I love it best hot. You can also serve with ice cream.
This dish is super healthy. It only has ponk, milk, ghee and jaggery. Perfect ingredients for winter nourishment. I absolutely love it and so does all the ppl who I made it for. Try out the novelty and leave your comments below.