The first time I had kathal sabji was years back at a family friends place who were Punjabis. Initially I wasn’t even ready to touch it because it looked like non veg. Once I tasted it I have been addicted to this. I had it twice at Urban tadka during their seasonal special after that have never seen it anywhere. Finally I thot of giving it a try making it at home. It turned out delicious ????. Check out how I made it.
500 gms Jackfruit- peeled and diced.
7 cloves garlic
2 green chillies
2 dried red chillies
2 medium sized onions- chopped minutely.
3 tomatoes pureed
1 tsp Red chilli powder
1 tsp Turmeric powder
1 tsp dhaniya jeera powder
1 tsp garam masala
4-5 black peppercorns
1. Put the jackfruit in pressure cooker and cook for 2 whistles on fast stove.
2. Drain the jackfruit and then fry it till golden brown.
3. Take 3 tbsp oil in a pan. Once heated add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, hing powder.
4. Once mustard seeds splutter add dry red chillies, bayleaf and peppercorns. Grind garlic, ginger, chilli in a paste and add the paste. Once cooked add chopped onions to it and cook till golden.
5. Add red chilli powder, turmeric powder, salt, garam masala, dhaniya jeera powder and let it cook.
6. Add tomato puree and cook till the oil starts leaving sides. Now add jackfruit to it and mix well.
7. Cook on slow flame for 10 mints and then serve it hot with roti/paratha/puri.
*if u want healthier version of it- instead of boiling and frying the jackfruit u can make gravy first and then add raw pieces of jackfruit to it mix well and pressure cook for 2 whistles on slow flame.
If u give it a try then do leave a comment below on how you liked it.